Director, Digital Mareting Strategy
Department: Sales & Marketing
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Strategic Marketing & Communications
Direct Reports Titles: (2) Digital Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Associate + management of multiple consultant agencies
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Associate Director of Digital Marketing is responsible for the successful management of digital strategy for the Kimmel Cultural Center and its various brands and products. This position sets the central direction for the in-house and outsourced day-to-day operations of the digital and e-commerce efforts, working at both the strategic and operational level. The role requires an innovator, a trendsetter, and a progressive thinker who can connect digital to all other aspects of Kimmel’s activity and drive growth opportunities, efficiencies, and revenue.This individual combines an in depth knowledge of Kimmel’s business objectives, online strategies with a rich background in digital marketing to deliver effective recommendations. This person is responsible for communication vertically and horizontally about progress, projects, and timelines, organizing information, and ensuring that departmental procedures are followed.
This individual has a combination of strong project management and hands-on technical skills, serving a vital role in promoting the integration of cross-functional teams across departments, with Kimmel’s eight Resident Companies, Ticket Philadelphia, and Information Technology systems team, while ensuring seamless delivery of all work. This candidate must be prepared for a fast-paced environment and be comfortable making decisions and influencing through collaboration. With a focus on patron satisfaction, audience development, and retention in a deadline-driven environment, the individual will lead an in-house and outsourced team to oversee the Center’s optimization and performance of all website and purchase path functionality and design, meta data optimization, SEO/M, e-mail campaigns, ease and efficiency in the application programming interface to our CRM and updates. This position is also responsible for leading the Center into new media, testing and securing the latest technologies to ensure efficiencies and revenue maximization.
- Website efficiency.
- Integration of an improved digital nervous system through communication automation.
- Build systems and efficiencies into Kimmel email communication procedures.
- Develop standard SEO/SEM program including maintenance of ongoing Google Grant campaign.
- Combine data sources from Tessitura, Qlik, RMA software as well as email system, SMS communication, social channels and google analytics to provide regular analysis and an agile approach for marketing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Oversees all online content including website and e-mail campaigns, coordinating with appropriate internal and external partners for proper approvals and achieving high-impact, quality writing standards for online content and increasing and maximizing ticket-selling and communications.
- Analyzing financial information (e.g. revenues, expenditures and cash management) to ensure all digital operations are within budget.
- Presenting annual budgets to senior leadership.
- Manages all vendor and consultant relationships for online and e-commerce services.
- Selects and coordinates with third party vendors and other resources involved in web and design work for the Center.
- Manages the gathering of requirements for web and email content, and to determine delivery method of new content (from web pages, to blog posts and video, podcasts, emails, newsletters, etc.).
- Works with Sr. Management to recommend and set priorities for multiple projects across departments, Resident Companies, Ticket Philadelphia, and IT competing for scarce time and resources.
- Proposes technology to support content and communication requirements. Implements workflow management processes to manage continuous requests for changes and enhancements.
- Manages optimization for digital projects both internally and externally, including website redesigns, micro sites, mobile sites and applications, as well as piloting new sites.
- Manages SEO/SEM organization-wide toward both organic and paid visibility through search engines
- Maintains and reports regular, thorough, and actionable statistics and analytics to understand customer behavior, and to drive customer satisfaction, acquisition and retention.
- Stays current with other performing arts organizations and drives improvements for best practices in innovation and technology, including web analytics and social media.
- Keeps the Center current, implementing the latest, successful mobile applications and technologies.
- Ensuring that digital content meets design and user experience standards and that it falls within Kimmel brand guidelines
- Liaisons with Ticket Philadelphia and IT regarding the ticketing purchase path, and overall digital patron experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Management experience in digital marketing, information systems, or a related field with focus on marketing or general business.
- Experience in leadership, contract negotiation, budget management.
- 4+ years of experience in a role involving complex project/change implementations related to ecommerce, corporate, or arts organization internet presence. 3 Updated 4/22/2021
- Experience working cross-functionally with multiple lines of business in addition to technical teams to define business requirements and facilitate the implementation of technical solutions.
- Track record managing and implementing measurable Internet and e-mail campaigns and proven ability to recommend and put into effect strategies and technologies that provide positive return on investment.
- Web ticketing experience a plus.
- E-Marketing experience in the Philadelphia market a plus.
- Experience working in an Arts and/or non-profit environment is a plus.
- Experience with data warehouse reporting and software used to make dynamic pricing decisions
- General understanding of WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) • Skills and/or experience with SQL.
- Ability to direct the coding of functionality supporting detailed business requirements.
- Experience and ability to use content management systems that employ role-based workflow.
- Ability to work in a complex organizational structure that includes many internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with streaming media, HTML5, web casting, and design studios such as Adobe (Creative Cloud) a plus.
- Strong writing skills; strong communication skills.
Environment, physical demands and other conditions
- Some evening and weekends will be necessary
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds of materials
- The Kimmel Center’s IT environment is managed by IT Services, which will work closely with and in support of this position.
- The Kimmel Center’s ticketing functions are managed by Ticket Philadelphia, which will work closely with and in support of this position.
- Business Applications: Tessitura, Ungerboeck, EpiServer CMS, Google Analytics, Wordfly.
- Development environment: Adobe Creative Cloud
The diversity of our region is our strength and KCI is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive cultural campus that reflects our commitment to an environment where everyone feels welcome and valued onstage and off.
Applications from female and minority candidates are highly encouraged.
To apply for this position, send your cover letter and resume to Kimmel Center Human Resources:
Kimmel Center, Inc.
1500 Walnut Street, 17th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Located in the heart of Center City, Philadelphia, the Kimmel Cultural Campus’ mission is to engage the region’s diverse communities with art through performance and education. Our Cultural Campus serves more than 1 million guests per year and includes the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, the Academy of Music, and the Merriam Theater- representing more than 160 years of rich history for the performing arts along Philadelphia’s Avenue of the Arts.
We are home to eight esteemed Resident Companies: The Philadelphia Orchestra, Opera Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Ballet, The Philly POPS, PHILADANCO, The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society, and Curtis Institute of Music. With nearly 9,000 seats per night across our 9 event venues, we are the region’s most impactful performing arts center, and the second largest in the country. Our Cultural Campus serves as a preeminent and inclusive place to enjoy exceptional experiences that reflect the spirit of our region by cultivating a creative and socially-responsible environment where our community shares experiences that are delivered with pride, integrity, and respect.
The Kimmel Cultural Campus is the Managing Partner of Ticket Philadelphia, a partnership which provides ticketing and customer service services to the Campus, the Philadelphia Orchestra and other Resident Companies on the Kimmel Cultural Campus. As a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization, we collaborate on, present, and produce a broad range of relevant and meaningful events, we serve as an active gathering space for social and community events, we educate the region’s young people through access to quality arts experiences, and we provide support to artists in the creation of new work. For additional information, visit www.kimmelcenter.org.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The diversity of our region is our strength, and we are dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive cultural campus that reflects our commitment to an environment where everyone feels welcome and valued onstage and off. See our year-end diversity and inclusion report here: Diversity and Inclusion Report
We engage the region’s diverse communities in art through performance and education. Our cultural campus serves as an inclusive and preeminent place to enjoy exceptional experiences that reflect the spirit of the Philadelphia region. The principal means by which The Kimmel Cultural Campus achieves its mission include:
- People: Cultivate a creative, inclusive, socially responsible community where artists, guests, staff, donors, and volunteers share experiences that are delivered with pride and integrity.
- Exceptional Experiences: Collaborate, present, and produce to ensure a broad range of relevant and meaningful performances, events, and artistic programs, including support to artists in the creation of new work for the Campus that serves the region’s audiences.
- Arts Education: Educate the region’s young people through access to quality arts experiences and multi-year opportunities to see, make, and understand the performing arts both on-campus and in communities.
- The Cultural Campus: Operate venues and nurture assets that deliver diverse and vital arts experiences, are a proud home to our Resident Companies, and are active gathering spaces for social and community events. These venues include the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, The Academy of Music, and the Merriam Theater.
Transforming lives daily through the arts
The Kimmel Cultural Campus believes that the arts build strong communities and are essential to enhance the human experience.