The Communications Director helps facilitate the Councilmember’s dynamic public presence, with tasks including media relations, speechwriting, digital content (including social media and newsletters), print publications, and written correspondence. The person in this role will also be responsible for designing and implementing a long-term strategic communications plan to elevate the Councilmember’s profile and enhance her connections to her constituents, to be carried out in tandem with daily responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Develop an overarching strategic communications framework.
- Draft press releases, speeches, talking points, newsletters, email updates, and op-eds.
- Maintain a robust press list and strong relationships with reporters.
- Craft messaging and public-facing materials for legislative, policy, and community initiatives, including talking points, one-pagers, social media, online graphics, and flyers.
- Facilitate quotes, interviews, and the provision of background information to media on a timely basis, and regularly pitch reporters on new initiatives at the Councilmember’s office.
- Implement communications campaigns for the Councilmember’s policy and legislative priorities.
- Assist with planning and implementation of community outreach activities.
- Develop content for web, social media, and print publications.
- Create and disseminate email and print newsletters, and work to actively grow the list of subscribers.
- Perform special projects assigned by the Councilmember or Chief of Staff.
- Manage process of receiving, drafting, and printing official citations.
- Supervise interns on matters related to communications.
- Attend meetings in the community on behalf of the Office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field.
- At least 3-5 years experience in media relations, communications, journalism, public affairs, and/or digital organizing.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills are a must.
- Ability to anticipate public reaction and think strategically.
- Experience crafting messaging and communications campaigns.
- Experience with media relations and building relationships with members of the press.
- Ability to attend night and weekend events.
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia and communities of the 3rd Council District a plus.
- Experience managing digital and traditional advertising campaigns is a plus.
RATE OF PAY
$50,000 – $55,000, commensurate with experience.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Harrison Feinman at email@example.com by July 22nd.