- Posted: November 20, 2021
LocationsShowing 1 locationCorp
Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
PHMC is proud to be a leader in public health. PHMC requires that all employees have received the first Covid-19 vaccination dose by the first day of employment. We will offer the Covid-19 vaccination at no cost, via our Health Centers.
This full-time position focuses on implementing nutrition education efforts for multiple grant-funded and contractual Nutrition and Active Living programs including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed). In particular, this position supports assigned community settings with providing direct education and implementing Policy, Systems and Environment (PSE) initiatives to improve community health outcomes. Program goals are to increase likelihood that individuals have the knowledge, skills and accessibility to make healthy choices within the realm of nutrition and physical activity according to the US Dietary and Physical Activity Guidelines and USDA Food Guidance System. Programs will emphasize but not limited to nutrition, physical activity, wellness, chronic disease management, food safety, food systems and/or gardening.
- Provide nutrition education in community settings including but not limited to, health centers, schools, shelters, food pantries, subsidized senior housing and/or grocery stores for multiple contract- and grant-funded initiatives.
- Promote, implement and support PSE initiatives across assigned programming sites.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with program partners, and project staff to ensure effective communication, recruitment of participant and efficiency in program delivery.
- Maintain updated schedule, record-keeping, and program outcome/evaluation reporting for all assigned sites.
- Work with management team to maintain strong and positive relationships with program partners; serve as primary point of contact for staff at partner organizations.
- When assigned, shop for food/supplies and prepare food as needed in accordance with ServSafe guidelines to efficiently conduct lessons and provide food tastings to reinforce key messages.
- Complete administrative paperwork needed for documentation and reimbursement of expenses or use of provided cash advance.
- Clean-up and properly store any remaining food or materials.
- Prepare for classes/workshops/demonstrations by attending trainings and staff meetings.
- Complete needed administrative and tracking forms related to time spent conducting nutrition activities.
- Communicate formally on a bi-weekly or weekly basis with supervisor.
- Participate in and initiate conversations to contribute to new approaches to improve program delivery, content, and/or evaluation to better serve low-income populations.
- Assist with developing, revising, and reviewing nutrition education materials.
- Work with site staff to integrate nutrition and physical activity into regular programming and other activities.
- Collaborate with other educators on activities/programs related to working with all audiences served by SNAP-Ed.
- Participate in health fairs and other community events, as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English)
- Experience with food planning, preparation, and presentation.
- Knowledge of ServSafe practices
- Garden experience is a plus
- Knowledge of public health theories, principles, and practices.
- At least one year of experience educating adult or youth audiences about nutrition with a preference for teaching experience in a variety of settings, e.g., schools, shelters, community centers, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, flexibility, organizational skills, and ability to complete directives and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable working within low-income communities.
- Personal commitment to promoting and being a role model for healthy eating and physical activity.
- Capable of physical aspects of work. Some heavy lifting required when materials are transported to sites.
- Proficiency with using email and MS Office applications to communicate information with team members.
- Clear child abuse, criminal history check and FBI clearance.
- Must be willing to travel locally. Valid driver’s license, insurance and car are beneficial. Mileage reimbursement provided according to funding guidelines.
- Minimum BS or equivalent required, with concentration in nutrition, public health, education, culinary, agriculture, horticulture or related field.
- Commensurate with education and work experience, full benefits package.
Bachelor of Science or better.