HQ - Philadelphia, PA
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
Enriching the public’s understanding of the communities we live in and reflecting and bringing together people of diverse experiences and perspectives is a core mission of WHYY. Communities in our region have a diversity of voices, but historically many are not represented fully in journalism and outreach.
WHYY News is offering a 1.5-year grant-funded opportunity for someone who can build relationships across the newsroom, identifying stories and topics that would serve as stimulus for Community Conversations and digital and live event community experiences and managing the logistics of events conceived by news teams.
Under the direction of the Managing Editor for Community & Engagement, the coordinator will work with editors, journalists, techs, marketing and partners to coordinate forums, summits and other experiences that enhance WHYY’s local relevancy and deepen our ties to our region.
We are looking for someone who values being out in the community and who will champion community voices, especially those who are often absent in our news reports.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Managing Editor for Community & Engagement in the planning, scheduling, promotion and coordination of Community Conversations and live virtual and in-person event experiences
- Regularly engage and recruit a diversity of experts, thought leaders, officials and media personalities for Community Conversations and digital and live event experiences
- Attend daily editor’s meetings to stay abreast of stories and investigations
- Regularly communicate with marketing, production and programming and social media departments to update them on upcoming events and maximize promotion
- Collaborate with various teams to populate and maintain the newsroom source database and serve as a liaison between project developers and WHYY.
- Work closely with the Managing Editor for Community and Engagement to coordinate host and moderator trainings for journalists and editors.
- Partner with newsroom engagement staff and digital team to develop social media outreach strategies targeting under-represented groups and geographic areas
- Provide support for ongoing newsroom source tracking audit
- Gather receipts and complete monthly log
- Track project deliverables
- Management meeting and engagement calendars
- Other duties as needed
Education: Knowledge acquired through work experience.
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in community engagement and/or outreach. 1-2 years’ experience in media (including internships and fellowships). Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with diverse groups. Familiarity with social media outreach. Familiarity with community organizing. Fluency in Spanish or other languages is a plus. Strong logistics and organizational skills.
Technical Skills: Proficiency with online video and meeting platforms. Working knowledge of Excel and/or Google sheets
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.
Bottom of Form