The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Web Developer to contribute to cutting edge technology initiatives for an art museum that is committed to innovative and inclusive learning for in-person and virtual visitors. We are seeking someone with a breadth of knowledge including best practices in full stack web development to bring new platforms and technology to life.
As the Web Developer, you will work across the technology stack on an array of projects with high public visibility for a dynamic museum dedicated to welcoming all. You will be responsible for implementation of new features and maintenance of our existing website, ticketing site, in-gallery digital interactives, mobile applications, digital signage, and electronic communications as well as new initiatives.
This position is part of a small web development team reporting to the Lead Web Developer. This is a hands-on role that requires expertise in client and server-side technology. This role works remotely during the M-F 9-5 Eastern work schedule. Candidates should be based out of the Mid-Atlantic region.
Established as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Responsible for helping to maintain the Foundation’s existing web applications, and other technology initiatives.
- Assists in the planning and development of new web applications at the Foundation for a number of technology initiatives focused on web, mobile, and data-processing.
- Adhering to coding best practices and working as part of an agile development team.
- Ability to shift gears and context switch as required by long-term projects, short-term goals/tasks, and occasional troubleshooting/resolution.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
- 1-3 years working with frontend frameworks (React highly preferred)
- 1-3 years working with backend frameworks (Node.js highly preferred)
- 1-3 years using source control (Git and GitHub preferred)
- 1+ years creating and maintaining cloud-deployed applications (AWS highly preferred)
- Creating clear and concise code with test coverage and documentation
- Using 3rd party APIs
- Implementing user authentication through client/server cookies and server-side sessions while meeting secure web practices
- Applying accessibility principals
- Working as part of a remote team
- Communication skills with team members and ability to articulate complex technology concepts to non-technologists
- Meeting deadlines
- Ability to learn new technology and frameworks as needed
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short- and long-term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application, along with salary expectations.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.