The Guest and Protection Services Senior Specialist plays a key role in front-line operations by providing the team with constant visual surveillance information and access control to help provide an exceptional guest and staff experience, as well as to ensure the safety and protection of the collection and the Foundation’s buildings and grounds. The Senior Specialist provides a best-in-class experience to every person who works in and visits our institution. This includes engaging guests in conversation about the collection and the Foundations history, answering questions, enforcing rules, looking out for suspicious behavior, and maintaining the integrity of our back of house spaces and processes. Guest and Protection Services Senior Specialists are part of a team that are truly the face of the Barnes Foundation and work under the direction of the Assistant Director of Guest and Protection Services to ensure a visit to the Barnes is informative, friendly, respectful and safe.
Established as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Ensures that the building and grounds are welcoming and safe for visitors and guests.
- Oversees the safety and protection of the Foundation’s collection, property, and grounds by enforcing Foundation rules and regulations. Upholds all Barnes service, protection, and communication policies.
- Monitors the building and collection utilizing building video, security and access control systems. Provides access control to the facility, managing who enters and exits. When assigned, continuously monitors service yard and controls loading dock activity.
- Conducts continuous tours of both the interior and exterior of the building, inspecting areas for potential hazards, mechanical failures, and other abnormalities.
- Performs bag inspection to prevent prohibited items from entering the building.
- Completes required reports, logs, and journals as needed.
- Provides superior level customer service; acts as a concierge providing information and advice to guests and staff on institutional policies in front and back of house. Interacts with guests, employees, board members, potential clients, event attendees, site contractors, vendors, and other partners.
- Engages with guests on the Foundation’s history, collection, programs, events, classes, and amenities. Coordinates guest services such as coat check, tour audio devices, and guest collateral (maps, brochures, signage). Upholds protection policies in public spaces and ensures visitor compliance. Monitors guest behavior and reports anything unusual to his/her supervisor.
- Manages the VIP process making sure our special guests are greeted, parties being visited are notified promptly, and ensuring the overall experience at the Barnes Foundation is exceptional.
- Handles challenging situations with the public quickly and effectively, with skill and professionalism.
- Escalates pertinent information to supervisor for any issues of significance that would need their attention. Continuously expands required knowledge of facility including services, collection, exhibitions, safety, and protection by actively participating in department meetings and trainings.
- Observes and reports out of the ordinary circumstances based on working knowledge.
- Serves as a critical member of the emergency response team, providing guidance and help to guests and information to the supervisor on duty for emergency situations including fire, theft, damage and protest.
- Supports other Guest and Protection Services staff in their duties.
- Adheres to and follows Foundation policies, including those regarding attendance, punctuality and dress code.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Two (2) to three (3) years of any combination of training or experience in security or protection services, customer/guest services, hospitality, or event management.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Must have a pleasant demeanor and a genuine interest in communication with members of staff and the public. Outgoing personality with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail with excellent observational, organizational and reasoning skills.
- Ability to understand and apply a significant amount of detailed information. Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to be a calm presence during periods of high volume, stressful, or unusual events.
- Proficiency in digital tools including patrol scanning devices, modern communication tools, building security and access control systems, ticket scanners, and tour devices.
- Knowledge or interest in art, protection and safety. Art background/interest a plus.
- Must be able to engage guests in conversational English; bilingual or multilingual skills a plus.
- Must have a flexible schedule with the ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings and nights.
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short- and long-term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application, along with salary expectations.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.