LocationsShowing 1 locationCorp
Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
PHMC is proud to be a leader in public health. PHMC requires that all employees have received the first Covid-19 vaccination dose by the first day of employment. We will offer the Covid-19 vaccination at no cost, via our Health Centers.
The Philadelphia Area Sexual Health Initiative (PASHI) is hiring a part-time health educator to help facilitate three different programs: 1.) Talking Matters, which is a study testing the effectiveness of a group-level teen pregnancy prevention intervention for African American adolescents of any gender, ages 15 to 19. Talking Matters also contains an arm that will help to train parents, care givers and trusted adults in adolescent serving programs on how to be a sexual health resource for young people; 2.) Horizons, an empowerment-based, group-level intervention for African American adolescents who identify as female, ages 14-19; 3.) SHARP, a group-level intervention for pregnant and parenting adolescents of any race or gender, ages 14-21.
This position is responsible for implementing educational programs for youth and adults with a strong emphasis on adolescent reproductive health outcomes (teen pregnancy and STI/HIV prevention). Health Educators must work independently or in teams as assigned. Health Educators also conduct community outreach; assist in developing and maintaining community partnerships, and help recruit participants in person and through electronic means (ex: social media) in venues where young people can be reached.
The Health Educator position will require travel to community partner intervention sites and flexible working hours to accommodate intervention sessions, trainings, and planning meetings. Based on federal, state, local, or PHMC public health guidance related to Covid-19, programming may also take place virtually. Successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory Criminal, FBI, and Child Abuse clearance checks in a timely manner. This position reports to the Program Manager.
- Participate in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the intervention;
- Attend and participate in all required trainings, meetings, and conferences;
- Facilitation and implementation of assigned PASHI interventions, ensuring fidelity;
- Assist with participant recruitment;
- Health Educators are also responsible for registering participants and maintaining program data as required by the funding source and/or program leadership;
- Schedule intervention sessions at partner youth provider sites;
- Maintain correspondence with site contacts;
- Participate in the development of proposals for funding as needed;
- Serve as a liaison to HIV/STI and other reproductive health resources;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially in communicating effectively with adolescents;
- Strong group facilitation skills, particularly with adolescents
- Very strong analytical, organizational and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Superior cultural competence related to race, gender, sexual orientation and youth;
- Strong knowledge of science-based teen pregnancy prevention, HIV/STI prevention and reproductive health education principles;
- Experience providing services to adolescents preferred;
- Experience implementing community-based programs preferred;
- Familiarity with Philadelphia adolescent and teen organizations preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Commensurate experience will be considered.
- Commensurate with education and experience.
- PHMC offers benefits for part-time employees.
- Grade 16
PHMC values diversity and seeks talented employees from diverse backgrounds. PHMC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status in its employment practices.
Our equal employment opportunity philosophy, in accordance with federal, state and local law, applies to all aspects of employment with PHMC including recruiting, hiring, training, transfer/promotion, compensation, benefits and termination.
Bachelors or better