Media Technician - Maintenance
HQ - Philadelphia, PA
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY, has an immediate opening for a full-time highly-skilled Broadcast Engineer in Philadelphia to work in our technology department. Candidates for this position should have a broadcast and IT background, 21st century skill set, and a team-oriented attitude. Good communication, people skills and a positive attitude are a must for filling this critical position within our operations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for hands-on technical and project support of audio and broadcast infrastructure systems for live studio broadcast events, digital production, and post-production activities.
- Install, troubleshoot, test, upgrade, maintain, and repair broadcast equipment and various production technology equipment. To include but not limited to: Automation Systems, Broadcast Servers, Video Encoders and Video/Audio Processors and Servers.
- Must be familiar with IT infrastructure as it pertains to broadcast technology systems
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair various Production Control Room equipment for both video and audio. To include but not limited to: Production Switchers, CG Systems, Audio Consoles and Teleprompter Systems.
- Help maintain TV and FM transmitters, microwave equipment, satellite equipment, antenna systems and all other equipment associated with our facilities.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair field equipment including Cameras, Lighting Kits, audio equipment, etc.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair Avid Media Composer edit system with Nexis and Media Central.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair Studio Systems. To include but not limited to: Lighting Systems, Camera Systems, Camera Robotic Systems, Microphone Systems, IFB Systems and Monitoring Systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance schedules and safety inspections to reduce equipment failure or accidents.
- Work with vendor technical support to troubleshoot issues as needed and make system changes/upgrades when necessary.
- Stay educated on emerging technologies.
- Participate in cross-training to gain familiarity with the systems you will be supporting
- Keep maintenance logs and databases, seek problem resolution and identify recurring issues.
- Provide technical support to all other departments in the building.
- Insure that all assigned projects are completed in a timely manner and within budget.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures on mission critical systems in order to ensure no loss of air time.
- Complete Capital Projects under the direction of the Technology Manager.
- Maintain support systems such as emergency power generation, UPS and power distribution.
- Adhere to FCC, EAS, and OSHA regulation compliance
- Must be available to work during emergencies, severe weather, new system integrations and system updates
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer and/or Technology Manager
- Display and maintain professional appearance, based on station standards, and professional demeanor.
Education: High School Diploma required
Experience: 4 + years of experience in broadcast and/or IT support is required.
Technical Skills: Sony FS-7 cameras. Avid Media Composer. Experience using steadicams and gimbals. ATSC 1.0
License or Certification: IBEW Local 98 membership will be required. SBE Certification preferred. Valid driver’s license required.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.
Bottom of Form