The Morning Drive Producer is responsible for ensuring that the quality of morning drive time block (6am to 10am) is consistent with the goals and strategic direction established by the Program/News Director, General Manager and President/CEO. This includes managing the day-to-day quality, content and sound of the morning shows at an independently Black-owned media company, one of only four remaining Black-owned talk radio stations in the nation
The person who is seeking this position is an energetic leader interested in moving the needle at a high-performing, independently-owned radio station with robust digital platforms. The Morning Show Producer will be a self-starter with their finger on the pulse of what’s happening in pop culture, politics, education, health/wellness, business and more as well as what’s going on locally, nationally and internationally. They should strive to seek out high profile guests and thrive in fast-paced environments.
Specific Job Duties include (but not limited to):
- Assist Morning Show Host(s) in planning and producing live and/or pre-recorded radio shows which may include interviews, news, music, talk, sports, traffic and feature productions
- Research guests’ backgrounds and obtain written material regarding interview topics
- Contact and schedule guests for high impact interviews
- Prepare hosts, guests or other program contributors so that on-air interviews meet established production standards, rules and regulations.
- Work as the Board Operator for live on-air and pre-recorded shows to answer caller lines and communicate their identity to the Host; cue Host when to take commercial breaks; play commercials, promotional spots, station IDs and public service announcements as outlined on the program log; play/conduct on-air contests as assigned according to company policy
- Comply with station format, guidelines, applicable laws ad FCC regulations including transmitter readings
- Sign off on the commercial log each hour on duty as well as completing the Caller Logs in legible handwriting
- Assist with post-production editing, including podcasts as well as editing and producing audio for promo soundbites
- Operate WURD TV and log appropriate show names, hosts, and descriptions for social media broadcasting.
- Have knowledge of the station’s traffic, playout and other systems.
- Provide access to guests into the WURD office suite.
- In conjunction with the Director of Marketing and Growth, interact with listeners via social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Special projects, as assigned
A minimum of one year experience in studio engineering, radio, or technical producing. Prior use of video and audio editing software programs is a plus. Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and social networking platforms. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. A degree in broadcast journalism or equivalent is preferred.
The ideal candidate is organized, a good communicator, able to multi-task and curious. Excellent writing, research and storytelling skills; ability to tailor and adapt content for different audiences and platforms. Knows how to use a variety of recording equipment.