WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
WHYY is looking for a collaborative, audience-driven journalist to lead daily newscasts. Participate in news assignments and decision making. This position is responsible for editing text, scripts, audio, and managing the flow of content to radio and digital. Fine-tunes radio broadcasts to ensure that each story is not only engaging and accurate, but also on time, audible, and seamless. Monitors other news publications and wire services. Coordinates with news director and digital news team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As part of editing team, maximize opportunities to grow audience across platforms
- Assign/manage core group of reporters plus newscast rotation
- Coordinate and determine daily newscast reports with editors/reporters
- Serve as liaison to hosts/Morning Edition producer to assure optimal newscast content through the day
- Work with newscast reporters to create an ideal finished product
- Prepare/edit copy for reporters and program hosts; responsible for copy flow and continuity
- Handle rewrites and breaking news stories for online and radio
- Monitor competitive publications for breaking news
- Coordinate live shots with reporters
- Operate production and audio equipment
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: A bachelor’s degree in Communication, English, Journalism, or related field from an accredited college or university.
Experience: A minimum of three (3) years reporting, editing, and producing experience in online news.
Technical Skills: Proficient in CMS production. Basic knowledge of audio editing software preferred. Basic computer software and social media a must.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.
Legal First Name*
Legal Last Name*