WURD Radio is the only independent Black talk radio station in Pennsylvania, and one of only four in the U.S. Since its founding two decades ago, WURD has evolved into a multimedia, multiplatform communications company that reaches deeply into the Black community through radio, events, digital and social media. It is considered the go-to media channel to engage, interact and connect with Philadelphia’s Black community.
WURD seeks a dynamic and experienced talk radio host to helm the 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET evening drive. This time slot presents an opportunity for someone with a powerful news sense who is also a fluid conversationalist and incisive interviewer to inform a highly engaged listenership in Philadelphia and beyond. WURD listeners will look to the evening drive host for insightful analysis of the day's headlines — explaining the news and examining how it impacts a diverse audience of primarily Black listeners. This position reports to WURD’s program director.
Specific job duties:
- Host a daily 3-hour radio show
- Develop compelling questions for high-impact interviews
- Conduct high-profile interviews
- Write news packages
- Research timely topics
- Work with producer to plan and execute daily show
- Build a contact list with local and national newsmakers
- Work with other hosts to cover major stories
- Interact and engage with callers
- Attend and host live broadcasts and remotes as requested
- Promote show content on social media
- Read legal identifiers
- Perform live reads for WURD radio events and initiatives
- Attend weekly programming and other requested meetings
- Record audio for client spots as requested for an additional fee
- Located in greater Philadelphia and able to broadcast from WURD’s studio
Who We’re Looking For:
The evening drive will feature powerful interviews, and the host should be as adept with hard-hitting political interviews as they are with human interest stories — bringing a nuanced mix of empathy and pointedness. This person should be a voracious consumer of local, national, and global news, spanning politics, public policy, business, science, health, education, justice, and other current events. The host should be able to report news with a focus on presenting factual, accurate information while being comfortable providing listeners with a compelling point of view. Listener calls are a hallmark of WURD radio, and the evening drive host should be skillful in respectfully engaging with callers while ensuring they remain on topic. The host should have experience working closely with a show producer to follow the news, research topics, and identify and book high-profile and influential guests to comment on current events.
To apply, please submit a resume and include links to on-air appearances, podcasts, or an audio or video reel.