Spectrum Health, a world-class community health center that proudly cares, values, and serves its community is in search of a dynamic Patient Services Representative who cares about, values, and is dedicated to world-class healthcare service delivery. If this is you, come live your life's passion at Spectrum and earn your living where your heart is!
Nationally recognized as a Level-3 Patient-Centered Medical Home, the highest designation for health centers, Spectrum community health centers provide the highest level of care improving the health conditions and advancing health equity within our communities through the delivery of quality primary care, specialty, and social services.
We are the leading provider of world-class healthcare in our communities providing quality, safe, and effective care in an efficient, equitable, and timely fashion. We serve as a model of success for the other Federally Quality Health Center.
Spectrum employees make a different each and every day, each and every time, and in each and every encounter. A Spectrum encounter will touch a soul and heal a heart. Today at Spectrum, someone will deliver hopeful news; someone will provide comfort, reassurance, and assistance. At Spectrum someone will smile, welcome, and be happy to see you.
The incumbent for this position provides customer services to patients arriving for healthcare services and handles the patient scheduling, admittance, and registration and collections process. This position is the first point of contact and interpersonal skills and information accuracy is pertinent to the success of this position. The PSR serves as an important member of the Patient Centered Medical Homed (PCMH) care team in ensuring appropriate data capture and accuracy of front-end processes and timely communication with the patient and the care team members.
- Informs patient prior to visit about the fee assessment process or co-pays and their responsibility.
- Performs patient pre-registration function and runs eligibility reports to determine insurance coverage. Verifies third-party insurance coverage via on-line verification or telephone.
- Receives and acknowledges all health center patients and visitors.
- Maintains and verifies patient schedule.
- Reviews sections of the patient information forms.
- Collects all co-payments or initial fees from cash paying patients prior to the patient seeing the provider.
- Obtains patient’s signature on health care forms (for example, Medicaid and Medicare Authorization Forms, etc.).
- Scan patients Identification and Insurance Cards into the EMR System
- Interviews a minimum of 35 to 40 patients daily.
- Schedules appointments in the EMR System.
- Backfills the Medical Assistant to record messages for providers (for ex: RX refills, pharmacy, calls from other health care providers, etc.)
- Handles and processes a high volume of phone calls.
- Places calls to patients to remind them of their appointments.
- Contact patients who have missed their appointments, ascertain why and reschedule if necessary.
- Facilitates scheduling referral appointments for patients if needed
- Inputs data into computer system on an as needed basis.
- Provides printed patient instructions, community resources, clinical visit summary and anylab, diagnostic study or referral orders.
- Performs batching process and real time check out to include creation of daily batch and end of day batch reconciliation.
- Assist with scheduling activities to support improving patient access including no show reports and care gap reports.
- Makes change and issues a receipt to the patient.
- Registers and updates patient, emergency contact, financial and insurance information.
- Processes referrals on an as needed basis.
- Performs other duties as needed.
To perform this job successful, an incumbent must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Diploma in Medical Office Management desirable.
- Certification in Medical Office Management desirable.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in data entry, registration, and customer services in a medical setting
- Must adhere to confidentiality of patient health information (PHI) and HIPAA compliance.
- Must be able to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Computer knowledge required.
- Pleasant speaking voice and the ability to interact with people.
- Must be detailed oriented with attention to accuracy in documentation of patient information when scheduling or registering patients.
- Strong interviewing skills.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Demonstration of organizational skills is required
- Ability to interact well with staff and public in complex situations.
- Professional appearance and courteous manner require
We believe that world class care for our patients starts with the world class care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. It includes a 100% employer paid medical deductible plan. We offer comprehensive and competitive compensation, tuition reimbursement, loan forgiveness eligibility, paid time off, and Holidays. Spectrum is actively engaged with its employees who are genuinely committed to our mission and values. Together we will sustain a world class community center dedicate to advancing health and transforming live through care, value and how we serve.
Make Your Money Where Your Heat Is
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.