Public Information Coordinator
HQ - Philadelphia, PA
4 Year Degree
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
This position supports audience growth strategies by coordinating content affiliate promotion and managing the “street team” community engagement efforts.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with Public Information Director to set street team strategy and identifies locations for street team visits
- Coordinates with event sponsors
- Arranges for staffing, collateral and other logistics
- Tracks interactions and any needed follow-up contacts
- Works with Public Information Director to identify content for promotion
- Gather information internally about all organizational programs, services, events, achievements and challenges.
- Seeks out related individuals and organizations to create mutually beneficial promotion campaigns
- Distribute news items about WHYY both internally and externally.
- Builds contact lists for affiliates and media outreach
- Maintain regular contacts with local media outlets.
- Writes and gathers copy and images for campaigns, including various WHYY online and print communication vehicles
- Monitors impact of campaigns
- Monitors local press to identify prospects for development follow-up
- Provides periodic administrative support for VP communications
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, advertising, marketing or other related discipline is necessary.
Experience: One year of Public Relations and/or Promotions experience.
Technical Skills: Position holder must be familiar with different social media platforms.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.